articles on gold mining in the world

South African Gold Industry Enters Final Phase of Slow ...

Dec 09, 2018· Gold mining's share of South African GDP has shrunk Source: Statistics SA South Africa's gold industry now employs just over 100,000 people, less than a fifth of the number that used to power ...

The Environmental Disaster That is the Gold Industry ...

The deepest mine in the world, it is about 4,000 vertical feet from its rim to the bottom. Bingham Canyon is known as a copper mine, but the site yields gold, too.

The world's top 10 gold mines | MINING.com

Mining gold and other minerals in the Nevada positioned the state as the No. 1 gold-producing region in the nation and a top producer in the world. ... "assuring its place as one of the most ...

Grasberg mine - Wikipedia

The Grasberg mine is the largest gold mine and the second largest copper mine in the world. It is located in the province of Papua in Indonesia near Puncak Jaya, the highest mountain in Papua. It has 19,500 employees.

Canadian Gold Mining Has Potential To Be #2 In The World ...

- Mining investors might want to pay more attention to Canadian projects as the country is expected to have strong production growth in a world that is seeing a decline in the quality of gold deposits, according to one search firm.

Gold mining experts warn discoveries are shrinking | Daily ...

Mining experts have warned that the world's gold supplies could soon be depleted. Experts across the industry said we will soon hit 'peak gold' - the point at which gold discoveries start to ...

Gold Mining Bull: Top News For October 2018 | Seeking Alpha

Gold Mining Bull: Top News for October 2018. I've scoured through various gold mining newsletters, company websites and presentations to find the top news of the past month for October 2018.

10 Biggest Gold Mines in the World [PHOTOS] - ibtimes.com

Here is a list of the 10 biggest gold mines in the world, based on available 2010 production data. There are differences of opinion about which one should be ranked No. 1.

Mining - Environmental Impact Articles

Mining the Earth. John E. Young, Worldwatch Institute . MINERAL INDUSTRIES RAVAGING THE EARTH. Mining ranks among the world's most destructive industries. Each year, mining strips some 28 billion tons of material from the earth--more than is moved by the natural erosion of …

China Goes Prospecting for World's Gold Mines - WSJ

Chinese gold miners are aggressively scouting for overseas acquisitions, encouraged by historically low gold prices that could help them scoop up assets cheaply.

Desperate Venezuelans Dig Up Paradise in Search of Gold

Now Venezuela's economic distress has pushed them into digging for gold in vast open-pit mines. The indigenous Pemon people have long served as stewards of the national park that holds the world ...

Who Owns Most of the World's Gold? - Wealth Daily

The majority of the American gold is reported to be held in the world-famous United States Bullion Depository in Fort Knox, Kentucky, although there is some controversy that suggests otherwise.

Articles about Gold Mining - latimes

An explosion in a gold mine more than one mile underground killed 19 workers and injured 22 on Wednesday, company officials said. Anglo-American Corp., the world's largest gold mining company, said an investigation was under way into the cause of the blast at the Vaal Reefs mine, 100 miles southwest of Johannesburg.

How to Invest in Mining Stocks the Easy Way - fool.com

With the price of gold around $1,300 per ounce currently, gold mining attracts a lot of attention among investors, especially those who see the yellow metal as a potential hedge against risks like ...

BBC - Future - The gold mine at the end of the world

A road paved with gold. Gold is still one of our most precious resources. It is an essential component in everything from smartphones to the latest diagnostic kits for malaria and HIV. Which means ...

The World's Hottest Region for Gold Exploration - Wealth Daily

A South African gold mining company has to produce gold with costs being in the local currency, and the company's revenue being paid in U.S. dollars. And when the company exchanges the currency ...

World's 10 Largest Gold Mines by Production | Investing ...

Below is an overview of the 10 largest gold mines in the world, based on 2017 production figures from the GFMS team at Thomson Reuters, and on production stats released by gold miners.

Ethiopia could be sitting on one of world's great untapped ...

To the west of Ethiopia near the Sudanese border lies a place called the Asosa zone. This may be the location of the oldest gold mine in the world.

South Africa Gold-Mining Companies Pay High Price to Keep ...

South Africa has slid from the world's No. 1 gold-producing country to No. 8, as mining companies rack up losses and face rising costs and a mounting human toll.

Largest Producers of Gold by Country | Investing News Network

1. China. Mine production: 440 MT. Once again, China was the largest producer of gold in the world, mining 440 MT in 2017. The country has now held its top position for over a decade.

Warning over deep-sea 'gold rush' -- ScienceDaily

2 · A 'gold rush' of seabed mining could lead to unprecedented damage to fragile deep-sea ecosystems, researchers have warned. With major decisions on the future of seabed mining expected in 2019-20 ...

The World's Largest Gold Companies - WorldAtlas.com

The second largest gold company in the world is Newmont Mining, a US-owned organization. Although in the number 2 spot, its 2016 production levels have significantly decreased compared to …

Here Are the World's Top 10 Gold Producing Mines - U.S ...

A joint venture between Barrick Gold, the world's largest gold producer, and Goldcorp, the Pueblo Viejo mine is situated in the rolling green hills of central Dominican Republic, more than 60 miles north of its capital, Santo Domingo.

LAWRIE WILLIAMS: World Top 20 Gold Miners and Mines

LAWRIE WILLIAMS: World Top 20 Gold Miners and Mines More from the Metals Focus Gold Focus 2017 report released earlier this week, and this article probably should be viewed in conjunction with the previous onee on last year's Top 20 gold producing countries – See: Top 20 Gold Producing Nations See Small Gain in Output in 2016 .

Gold Mining Bull: Top News For September 2018 | Seeking Alpha

Here's the top news in the gold and silver mining sector for September 2018. Subscribers received this article early with access to my current gold holdings. 10. Great Panther to Buy Beadell Resources

Gold Mining Bull: Top News For August 2018 | Seeking Alpha

The World Gold Council has also said that it expects gold demand to pick up throughout the rest of the year. I wouldn't rule out another sell-off in the short-term, but the odds look like they are ...

Illegal gold mines destroying Amazon rainforest: study ...

9 · An increase in small-scale gold mining has taken a toll on the Amazon, increasing deforestation and polluting waterways, according to a new report. Mining in protected indigenous areas has ...

Active Gold Mines in the United States | Sciencing

The United States is the third-largest gold-producing country, after South Africa and Australia. Mines in Nevada account for more than 80 percent of U.S. production. According to a 2005 article in The New York Times, Nevada had approximately 20 open pit gold mines, about half of the active mines in the United States. ...